Guess what? This week has been total bullshit. Frankly, it’s been the kind of week where sitting around and staring at the walls would be preferable to just about anything else. But that is not going to help me feel better. You know what is? Putting one foot in front of the other and getting the hell out of this week into next week. So, with that, let’s Friday quiz our way into this weekend. (No pressure, mmmmkay?)
1. We are getting some family portraits done this weekend. We’re going to Geneva and this fancy pants lady is going to follow us around a park and shoot pictures of us. I am very torn on what our outfits should be. I do no want us to all be in jeans and matching t-shirts and the like. I want us to look very fetching and individual and coordinated. That is my big task for the day. Please tell us about a portrait experience you’ve had with your family.
When I was like 13, we had this portrait done for my Grandma where our family and my uncle’s family all gathered around these white cubes and we had our picture taken. I don’t remember the sitting so much. But I do remember the horror of trying to get the photographer — the screeching and screaming that took place. That’s what you get when you tell 13 and 16 year old girls to get ready for a picture and then dictate what clothes they wear and then have the ridiculous expectation of leaving on time. In the picture, my jeans are so high waisted, I might have been able to forego a shirt. And my mother is lying down in front of us all. Seeing her like this in a photo is inexplicable to me. I cannot imagine what must have been happening in that studio that she agreed to be photographed in this manner. But she did. It must have been a doozy of a photo shoot. I mean, she looks great in the shot, but I just can’t imagine her ever agreeing to lay down in front a la tiny cheerleader doing splits in front of team.
2. Sam is really into jokes at the moment and has made it his life’s mission to get his hands on any joke book he can find. Do you have any appropriate ones I can share with him?
Here’s his current favorite.
Ok. Who who who who who!
3. What’s the best thing in nature you’ve seen all week.
My peonies are blooming. And of my goodness. It’s a sweet sight. Peonies look like how it feels when your mom gives you a hug.
4. If you had a really long white beard that you couldn’t shave off or get rid of in any way, how would you style it/play it off?
I would braid it. I desperately want my hair to be long enough to braid in a fashionable manner, but it just seems to grow wider and wider. I don’t know that my dreams will ever come to fruition. But if I had a nice long beard, I could braid it and throw it casually over my shoulder or wrap it up in my hair in some delicate feminine coif.
5. Name three things that have made you feel very happy this week.
When I grabbed the remote with a wet hand earlier this week and Sam rushed over and snatched it away saying “careful mom, there’s electrocutement in there!”
The comfort of my husband knowing exactly when to wrap his arms around me and give me a long hug and when to tell me stupid jokes and tease me and distract me with ridiculous Grey’s Anatomy episodes. Oh Shonda. It’s always “go big or go home” with you, isn’t it girl? You don’t need plane crashes to be dramatic. Cross my heart.
That I was able to register for both classes I wanted to next semester — not just that there was still space in them, but that we have the means for me to go back to school and that I have a supportive encouraging family and that it’s all getting sort of real now.
Have a wonderful weekend turtledoves. By the way, you’re looking so slim today. You’ve got a nice healthy glow. And your hair is very shiny. Way to go!