1. I read this post yesterday at the Y while Sam was having his swimming lesson. I found it compelling. Pretty much, every time I read something Polly Carl writes, I think about it for weeks.
2. I know that the perfect workout pants exists. They are made by Lands End. I have the capri version. Every other workout pant pales in comparison. But I am cold. And I need long ones. And they do no have them in my size. I am so very disappointed by this. Freakishly disappointed.
3. I am being consumed by enemy voices in my head lately. They are mighty. Last night, I hid my head under my pillow to escape them. When that didn’t work, I busted out a pen and got writing. That did the trick and I slept pretty peacefully.
4. My friend went and volunteered at the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee and then wrote a show about it that I was lucky enough to act in. This was years ago. Lately, I can’t stop thinking about those elephants. Yesterday, I read all about their one male elephant, Ned. And today, this video popped up in my Facebook feed. And I am just thinking about elephants a lot.
5. I find this man’s disdain for his own work insulting. He wrote the poem. People liked it. And then he decided that, not only was it bad, but we were all stupid for enjoying it. Like the dude who reminds you the beauty in a sunset is all from pollution.
Nevertheless. It is a good poem. It touches me. I wish I did not know how he felt about it. A lesson for me then, as an artist. Do the work and shut the hell up about it.